A Healthy Gut Leads to a Healthy Life
“All disease begins in the gut.” -Hippocrates, the ancient Greek father of medicine
Did you know…
- If spread flat, your digestive system would cover a tennis court.
- Roughly 70 percent of your immune system is located in the digestive system.
- Your microbiome is made up of three-and-a-half to four-and-a-half pounds of bacteria that help to make vitamins, protect you against infection, and run your metabolism.
- The digestive system is often called the “second brain” because if the vagus nerve – which connects the brain and the digestive system – is cut, the digestive system functions fine on its own.
- Digestive insufficiencies contribute to a wide range of health issues, including migraine headaches, depression, arthritis, foggy thinking, autoimmune illness, autism, fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue, multiple sclerosis, and more.
The human body is an amazing, complex machine designed to see us through all of life’s daily challenges. But, did you know that not every part of our body is actually human? In fact, each one of us is host to trillions of bacteria that are collectively known as our microbiome.
The good guys in this diverse ecosystem – called probiotics – work with our own cells to keep us healthy by improving our digestion, regulating our immune system, helping us absorb nutrients, enhancing our memory, and even keeping our emotions in check. These microscopic superheroes also reduce inflammation, produce vitamins and enzymes, and protect us from unfriendly invaders.
As with everything in life, the key to a healthy microbiome is balance. With about 85% good microbes and 15% bad, a balanced population of bacteria will work hard to keep you healthy.
And, the secret to achieving this balance lies in having a solid understanding of what lifestyle and environmental factors affect your probiotic colonies so you can make microbe-friendly choices as you navigate your days. You see, we’ve only discovered the importance of our microbial self in recent years so our modern society isn’t currently set up to support our friends beneath the microscope.
At Triangle ENT, we like to look at the body as a whole; we “think outside the box.” Not only do we specialize in Ear, Nose, Throat and Allergy issues, we also take into consideration that your body is one complex and miraculous being. We understand that the gut, “your second brain” plays a huge role in your overall immune system. We understand a healthy gut leads to a healthy life.
Contact our office at 919-620-7800 to set up an appointment to discuss any of these symptoms and how to start living your life healthy again.