Post-Operative Instructions – Nasal Surgery
For the first two (2) weeks after surgery:
- Sleep with your head up using 3 to 4 pillows.
- Avoid all products containing aspirin or ibuprofen.
The Do Not's
- Do not blow your nose. Sniff up and spit out if necessary
- Do not use your nose to sneeze. Open your mouth and sneeze.
- Do not do extreme exercise or exertion.
- Do not bend over for long periods of time.
- Do not drink alcohol.
- Do not eat or drink very hot foods and/or beverages.
Make sure to follow these steps in the order specified.
- Irrigate your nasal passages with a saline solution with a bulb syringe 3 - 4 times a day. (Saline solution can be made by mixing 2 - 3 teaspoons of salt in a quart of water).
- After 10 minutes use 2 - 3 squirts of saline antibiotic nasal spray (as prescribed) in each nostril 3 to 4 times a day.
- Use one squirt of Polysporin® nasal ointment in each nostril after completing step 2.
- Be sure to take your antibiotics as prescribed.
- Take your pain medication as necessary. (Usually NO more than 3 to 4 times a day.)
Note: Some bloody oozing from the nose is not unusual. This will get less each day. Any loss of smell or taste should return in a few weeks.